Pages


Sunday 15 September 2013

Kiniro Mosaic - 10

Meet Sakura Karasuma, the nicest Middle School teacher in all of anime (not a hard achievement considering most are set in High School). Starting from this Kiniro Mosaic review, I'll be dividing the review into key sections that cover the most important aspects of the episode. Hope you'll enjoy it!


Old Humour, and New Humour

Not only was this the second time, but when the episode had finished, I could count the amount of times this happened onto the other hand. That is to say this occurred more than five times. While people often complain about repeated gags, I believe a successful formula should milk out the laughs, even when the novelty wears. Given how I've just gone on a lecture about the gag's first time use usually being the best, this episode followed a strange reversal of the policy, in which I found Karasuma-sensei's second mistake to be far more humorous. In particular how she unintentionally trolled the students, and ruining a surprise celebration she had no part in. Her afterthoughts were also 



They should've done a Little Busters here. Instead, the plan seemed to be 'Make the Blonde Loli stumble around helplessly for all to laugh at her'. What a successful plan, and I indeed laughed (and pitied) her feeble attempts to play Baseball, with Karen's decision to grant every other girl a non-playing role only further exacerbating the humour. However, Alice's solid determination absolutely captivated my attention, and I stared transfixed upon the screen as she swung her bat repeatedly. Then they added the Little Busters magical moment where she finally hit the ball, and sent it flying (Kengo much). I leapt out of the chair, and shouted with joy, then Yoko killed it with 'Foul Ball'. If there was space to fall to the floor, I would've done that right when she destroyed my illusion.



The Sheer Complexity of English

Alice reminded me the difficulties of the English Language, something I don't always appreciate, and often take for granted. For example, I didn't even know English had a perfect tense, though I can confirm I'm familiar with the concept having studied other European languages! Scrutinizing the test, I couldn't help but feel unimpressed about the mistakes made. They seemed legitimate, but you can't have someone spell almost every single word to near correction, then have them lose the mark due to one mistake. Even stupid people couldn't possibly get every single word so close to right, then get it wrong. I'm not explaining this well, so I'll leave it at that. Otherwise everything was accurate, as expected due to the proof marking by an English board.


The Somewhat More Negative Aspects

By this point, Alice must have displayed her jealousy of Karasuma-sensei over 9000 times. Then they finally have their physical confrontation... only for it to fall short due to Alice openly admitting she felt possessive over Shinobu. Although the entire buildup fell flat for naught, I felt the disappointment from this moment was cleansed when I heard the rabbit was called Alice, followed by more creepy teacher confessions. When your teacher becomes a creep, first thing you do is to use the secret technique of the Joestar Family: Run Away!!!



'Friends can not be bought with money' pretty much outlined my reaction to Shinobu pricing Alice at around 100,000 yen. Mind you, if I could buy an Alice at that price, I wouldn't, but even then, a friend is priceless. Fortunately, Yoko and Aya understand this very well. However, this doesn't stop Yoko from unintentionally wounding the obsessive Ayaya, in spite of all her good will. Poor Aya already mustered so much courage to call Yoko, but the devastating blow came in the form of Yoko seeing her as 'A Cute Little Sister?'. Even I dropped to the floor in exasperation at such well intended kindness, that cut like a sword. Speaking of which, we need more of Yoko's younger brother and sister, please!




Post Episode Recap

Karasuma-sensei laments over the prospect that the girls will graduate from the school... all of which will take place in two years time! There's a long way to go, but the way she reacted was totally understandable. I look forwards to these next two years, so please keep on entertaining the anime community!

No comments:

Post a Comment