Pages


Tuesday 13 August 2013

The World God Only Knows: Goddesses Arc - 5

Though I might be late as ever, better late, than better never! Today, I present to you the review for Yui's mini-arc! Now, in the manga, Yui is probably my favourite goddess. This is due to the fact she comes across as such a suave, and appealing character, and not because she's a tomboy. I really enjoyed her gentle side, but her new aspect is like her awakened form. She was practically born for the purpose of being the assertive male in the relationship, and it's rare to see Katsuragi being the submissive one. Naturally, I love strong characters too, like my favourite character of all time, Haruhi Suzumiya. Unfortunately, this has changed in the anime, due to the inadvertent nature of the arc cutting, which served to lessen her prominence. As of now, my favourites are Kanon (Magical Star Kanon), and Shiori (how is it possible to dislike KanaHana?).


As most of you won't be too familiar with all this crossdressing fiasco, I'll do my best to explain it from the point of view of a manga reader. Yui is my favourite, because of how she almost literally forces Keima to be the subject of her whims (much like Haruhi and Kyon). The reaction she elicits from him is also rather amusing, since sometimes he cares, but most of the time he doesn't really care. All he's intent on is to finish his conquest, and that's about it. Though Yui is the player character, she's the one being played here, which creates the generic question 'Who plays who?' (since there's bound to be a couple who'd disagree with me). Coming as no surprise at all was the revelation the Goddess Yui is hosting is none other than... Mars.



Don't get me wrong, but I just found the romanization of a male war god into a female one was... a bit too much for me. Although there was some comfort to be found in the fact Yui's a tomboy. she affects Keima’s inner girl like no other and leaves him far more flustered than he’d like to be. Historically, there's always been a symbolic link between Mars and Venus, with Mars being her main lover. Maybe the way she can stoke up Keima is a hint towards this? Well, Keima is practically the God of Love, as he's come to prove in these recent episodes.



May I just add, her heroic rescue of Keima was almost perfect, and there's one moment involving Haqua I can't quite get out of my head. If you've noticed, I quoted Yui as being my favourite Goddess, so who could possibly be my favourite girl? That's right, it's none other than Haqua. She might be a little on the tsun tsun side, but she's outright adorable when jealous, upset, or even angry, not to mention she seems like the smart reliable type I could easily depend upon. Wandering too far into fanboying about Haqua, so anyway, there's not much more to add on to what I've said.



No comments:

Post a Comment